Persons with Moderate to Severe Immune Compromise
- Consider an additional dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at least 28 days after an initial 2-dose primary mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series for people with moderate to severe immune compromise due to a medical condition or receipt of immunosuppressive medications or treatments.
- Administer the same vaccine product for the initial 2-dose primary series and the additional dose. If the vaccine product cannot be determined or is no longer available, administer either mRNA COVID-19 product.
- These individuals do not need a booster dose of vaccine. They should receive a maximum of 3 doses of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (i.e., a 2-dose primary series and one additional dose).
- Counsel immunocompromised people about the potential for a reduced immune response to COVID-19 vaccines and the need to continue to follow current prevention measures to protect themselves against COVID-19 until advised otherwise by their healthcare professional.
- For more information, please see Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines Currently Authorized in the United States at https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html.
Page last reviewed: October 8, 2021