- Anaphylaxis is an acute and potentially life-threatening serious allergic reaction.
- Anaphylactic reactions in persons receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccine outside of clinical trials have been reported.
- Appropriate medical treatment for severe allergic reactions must be immediately available in the event that an acute anaphylactic reaction occurs following administration of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Healthcare personnel who are trained and qualified to recognize the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis as well as administer intramuscular epinephrine should be available at the vaccination location at all times.
- For more information on anaphylaxis, including early recognition and management, see Managing Anaphylaxis.
Page last reviewed: November 16, 2021